Tuesday, May 13, 2014

A competitor will find a way to win


To finish catching everyone up with all the fun stuff that's been going on lately. Here are some more pictures of some good times I had out in Ft. Collins. I put in a black and white of Twin Owls rock in RMNP. A couple of my boy and me checking out the trail scene out at the Horsetooth Reservoir and a couple of that monster pizza we enjoyed in old town Ft. Collins. I wasn't joking about how big that damn pizza was. Crap its have the size of my son.



I'll be heading out to Wisconsin next week for the Kettle Moraine 100 miler. For those of you that don't know this is my first attempt at that distance in 7 years. Needless to say I am a bit nervous about the whole deal. The last time I tried the distance it was the Heartland 100 miler. In which I jumped in the race with both feet and found out just how hard and how much I had to learn about the sport of ultra running. Though by my own stupidity I attempted this feat of endurance on only two weeks of rest from the very first Ultra I'd ever done. I definitely had the balls for this sport but my brain was severely underdeveloped.

I finally decided to call it quits with my first dance at the hundred mile distance at mile 83. When my body was just not able to take another step. It was a miracle that I even made it that far. Aside from only having two weeks of rest on my body from the first race. I ran the entire 83 miles on nothing but Little Debbie Fudge Rounds and Fruit Punch Gatorade as my only source of calories for 18hrs of running. Relieved to have dropped out at the 83 mile mark and after my crew helped me to the car. My body started shaking uncontrollably. Probably from dehydration and hypothermia. Either way it was enough for me to realize that I'd had bitten off more than I could chew. The whole next week my body was so wrecked from the ordeal that I had to take a week off from work. The only time I moved from the couch was when I had to crawl to the bathroom because my legs still didn't work.


Having shared that with you all. You now know the reason why I haven't tried this distance sooner. I guess I should have used something better to describe how I feel about next weekend. I should say I'm freaking terrified. Which I am. This time around though. I feel my chances of finishing and actually hitting my goal time are very good. I'm seven years wiser, stronger and mentally tougher. This time I know what I'm getting myself into and I know what awaits me after the sun goes down.
I'm not looking for motivation or words of encouragement from anyone. I'm more than motivated enough. I just wanted to get it off my chest. Like some kind of pre event primal scream. I don't like to keep it inside. If I'm worried about something I'll let you know.

If I'm not I'll let you know that also. No, this time around I feel pretty confident I'm going to get some redemption out there on the trail next weekend. Even if it is only a personal redemption. I may finish in the top ten or I just may finish dead last but I will finish. At least when I do finish I can take away the fact that, finally I can call myself a real ultra runner. I've always felt bad about myself when people ask me what hundreds I've completed and I had to tell them none. Then to sit there and look at them with that confused look on their face.


That's about all for now. I'm done running until the race. I want to make damn sure I show up to the race with my legs in the best shape they can be in. Nothing I do now is going to help me and I'm not going to lose anything by doing nothing. The hays in the barn so to say. I just have to stay limber and focused. Come Saturday shit will take care of itself. Until then I hope everyone stays healthy and safe. May the trails be kind to all and all be kind to the trails.

No comments:

Post a Comment